Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The High Price of Low Cost

I just recently was discussing the upcoming union negotiations at Safeway with someone and they advised me to watch a movie titled The High Price of Low Cost.

I currently am employed at Safeway as a part time cashier and had no idea the implications of the upcoming vote and just how much the decision could effect me. The Safeway company was trying not only to take away overtime and differential pay but they also wanted to make the employees pay for medical coverage. One of the reasons I decided to take the job in the first place was due to these benefits. Without these benefits I would be perilously close to poverty level income. Also, if Safeway were to strike I would receive no pay unless I picketed, and the pay even for that is minimal. This would not only be disastrous for myself, but many of my co-workers as well since the majority are single moms trying to make ends meet.

The movie The High Price of Low Cost is about the Walmart empire and how they run their businesses. How Walmart compensates and treats their employees is in my opinion terrible and they take jobs away from local markets. Walmart's products are often produced outside of the U.S. to save on cost as this gives the corporation a higher profit margin. I feel that everyone should try to get a copy of this movie just to view the detrimental effects Walmart has on the economy and get a new prospective of how where they are shopping may contribute to the decline in the economy and job market.

A few clips are readily available on youtube and I found a copy of the movie at a local library that I placed a request on. Go forth and enlighten yourself!

No comments: