Thursday, April 10, 2008

Researching new materials.

I am not having a great week.
So far I've been to the doctors three times in three days.
My thumb is blue and I can't feel my fingers.
I'm on enough hydrocodone to kill a small horse so I apologize if my future blogs are a little on the incoherent side.
The upside is I've had a lot of time to google and read mags.

The new project involves using alternative materials so I have been checking out some different ideas. So far I am leaning towards working with found objects, recyclables and organic objects.
My brainstorming includes:
Natural Materials:
leather, straw, dirt, sawdust
minerals, wool
Binding Materials:
Plastic, resin, glue
Recyclables:
Fabric, chalk, aluminum, wood

I did some research on artists mentioned in class, I think Marcel Wanders is a little too IKEA for my taste. I liked Hella Jongerius' simplistic designs. I feel like both of these artists are more into furniture and design is definitely their strong points.
Hella's Office Pets are awesome. They're fun and functional.
For inspiration however, I feel more of a kinship with Jurgen Bey and his wacky exhibition art. I really enjoyed his Z33 Exhibition with a piece called Tea Bag Garden. It was simple bags of potting soil that he planted mint into and invited people to brew tea on the spot. The bags, once depleted were simply taken off the stack.
His Vacuum Bag furniture cracks me up and is very eco-responsible. Why throw your dirt away when you can use it to cushion your butt.

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/2007/03/designing-criti.php




















Also, American Craft has an article on new jewelry materials that was interesting. The materials include, animal fur, Colorit (synthetic ceramic-plastic alloy) plasti-dip, rubber, gum and leather for starters. I really like when I find artists incorporating more of what I would term craft materials and inventive items in their artwork. I really want to investigate casting items with natural material backgrounds or fillers. The use of LED lights in pieces seems like another interesting way to incorporate technology with crafts.

No comments: