Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Internship 8-08-08


There is nothing like a dust mask and ear protection to really make a girl look sexy.
Alas, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. So here's some visuals of me looking at my finest. I'm using the abrasive grinding tool to grind the sides of the ornament holders.




I also use this same process to grind a nice pattern onto the bases of the stands, for the single holder we use a flat circle and for the triple holder a rectangular piece that all need a ground finish and smooth edges. I took all of the circles and used a sanding attachment on the drill press to sand the interior of the rings. Believe it or not this was one of the more challenging of processes. You only have a 1/4" thick piece of steel to grip and the ring must stay parallel to the floor. You then move it in a clockwise motion on the sanding wheel. After about five I could no longer feel my fingers and my whole arm was vibrating! It think I may have actually sanded more of the finger tips of my leather gloves than steel today.
Later, Suzi and I did a major clean-up using the air tool to blow the dirt and dust from one end of the studio to the other. The piles we swept up after were HUGE; and this from only a day or two of work. The Girardini's are working on an amazing bed design for an individual request. More to come on this later, but as for now it looks to be incredible! Both of the ornament stand pieces as well as several of the clocks in production are featured in the catalog, Artful Home. I suggest anyone in the jewelry program check it out, they have a lot of great, cutting edge design shown.

No comments: