Friday, November 28, 2008

After Action Review for Locket/Vessel Project

After Action Review for Locket/Vessel Project.


What did you do well? Which actions and strategies led to success that you will continue to use?

My die was much better than the first project and everything worked out until the hinge location. The internal framing and overall locket was what I had wanted.

Which things did not work so well? These are areas to improve.

I would have liked more time, I wanted to make a copper maquette and then make the final in sterling but I ran out of time. I also didn't consider the location of the hinge relative to the design, on paper it worked fine opening on the side but in actuality the 'veins' overlapped. I had to move the hinge lower and thus had to make a smaller hinge without a flange because I had already cut the framing pieces. I'm also still not entirely sure why i couldn't replicate my volume on the original test pressing. I would have liked to have my texture but the piece looks complete without it as well.

What Ifs How could the project been more successful?
What are the best incarnations of the project?


I think the hinge and actual piece itself was well made. I would have liked to add a clasp and clasp for the chain. I think if I were to make a sterling version I would just need to leave a small flange for the hinge and it would improve the piece ten fold. I would in retrospect not spend an eternity sanding my metal prior to pressing because each step of the way it would just get scratched again. I spent way to much time finishing and filing only to have to go back and repair portions later.

No comments: