Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Social Design Brainstorming

So far I've been reading a lot about different medications and thier over-prescription and side effects. I recently was given two separate drugs without being informed of the serious side effects. One of which has caused serious heath problems for me and many given the drug. Two of the 25 listed side effects was liver failure and death. They were the only two I didn't experience and I actually added seeing spots and blurred vision to the list!
I read the article in the NY Times on cholesterol medication and this stoked the fire behind my argument for less is more in pharmaceuticals because both of my parents were recently put on these type of medications at failed results.
I haven't thought of a viable way to make a product/item to remedy this serious issue.
I feel that informing people of the dangers of doctors over-prescribing dangerous and ill-tested medicine is one thing, fixing it is another. Most remedies would probably require government regulation, restriction and dedication...none of these words do I regularly associate with the government.

Another idea I have been tossing around in my head is that of drunk driver awareness and the issue of over-population and congestion on the highways. One of my proposed ideas is to implement a 2x DWI Offender mandatory license plate and 3x ect. They could be easily visible and known to all police and commuters so they could be more cautious around these drivers and would discourage people from drunk driving because, frankly, they would be embarrassing to the felon to have to have on his vehicle. We could also implement a speeding ticket insignia that would go on your license plate or window and enforce a "if you have, say, 2 speeding tickets in 6 months, you have a red sticker on your window and must drive in the right lanes only" rule. That way anyone with 2 or more tickets, if caught a. without their "sticker" or b. in the left lanes would get a ticket and the proceeds from the fines could pay for the stickers.
I know, it's a mean and strict plan but I'm sick of reading of people killed everyday from reckless driving and personally my commute would benefit from having the crazy people doing 90 in traffic stuck to the right lane and at the speed limit.

No comments: